Register to access our services through the Energy Innovation Toolkit Portal. This page explains what services we offer, as well as how to use our Portal to lodge queries and submit trial applications.
Lodge your query or trial application through the Energy Innovation Toolkit Portal
Click the link below to register with the Portal and log in to securely lodge IES queries and trial applications.
It's never too early to get in touch - we can help at all stages of a project.
What we offer
The Energy Innovation Toolkit offers two services.
1. The Innovation Enquiry Service
- The IES is live and accepting enquiries.
- To find out more about the scope of the IES, response timeframes and the kind of guidance we offer, please read our Innovation Enquiry Service process page.
2. Trials. Trials will be facilitated by Regulatory Sandboxing
- We are currently accepting applications for trials requiring relief from Victorian energy frameworks under the Victorian Regulatory Sandboxing function. Please note that we are NOT currently accepting applications for trials requiring relief from national energy frameworks.
- We will accept applications for trials requiring relief from national electricity and gas frameworks after Regulatory Sandboxing legislation is passed.
- For more information on trials and when we will accept applications, please read our trials overview page and our trials application process page.
The Energy Innovation Toolkit accepts IES queries through our Energy Innovation Toolkit Portal.
The Portal is a secure data lodgement point protected by two-factor authentication.
Through the Portal, you can securely lodge your IES query or trial application using our electronic enquiry forms.
Clicking the log-in link above will take you to the external Portal website, administered by the AER.
Our Portal Services Guide is a step-by-step walkthrough explaining how to register for the Portal, as well as how to fill out our enquiry and trial application forms.
How can the Portal help me?
The Portal allows you to lodge and manage your regulatory questions and trial applications in a central case-management system, enabling the Australian Energy Regulator
Through the Portal dashboard you can:
- Lodge an IES query
- Submit a trial application
- Securely upload documents
- Track the progress of your matter, and
- Receive guidance, meeting requests, and other communication from the Energy Innovation Toolkit team.
How do I use the Portal?
Step one to accessing our services through the Portal is to register and authenticate your Energy Innovation Toolkit account using the log-in link above.
Step two is to fill out our electronic enquiry form or trial application form and upload any supporting documentation.
You’ll receive an email confirming that your query has been lodged and that we will soon be in touch. Any communication we send through the Portal will be accompanied by an email notification, letting you know when your matter has been updated.
You can log back into the Portal at any time through the links you receive via email notifications, or through the log-in link on this page.
Please note that all Innovation Enquiry ServiceThe Innovation Enquiry Service (IES) provides innovators with informal guidance on how their new technologies or business models can be delivered under current energy regulation. This includes what energy regulation and market entry requirements might apply to your project, options that exist to adapt your business idea to progress under current energy frameworks, what energy bodies you might need to contact, as well as what processes and applications you might need to undertake, and why. For more information about what the IES does and does not provide, please see our About page, and our IES process page.queries and trial applications must be made through the Portal. The Energy Innovation Toolkit will not respond to these matters if lodged outside the Portal.
If you have a question about how our services work, a media enquiry, or a request for an update about an active trial, please use our general enquiries contact form.
You can also use the general enquiries form to get in touch with us to briefly discuss your project before applying for a trial. Because trial applications require substantial supporting information, involve consultation across the entire sector, and are resource-intensive to process, we ask that you first contact us through our general enquiries form for a pre-application meeting before lodging a trial application in the Portal.
Start with our resources
In addition to hosting access to the Portal, the Energy Innovation Toolkit website also offers information and resources designed to make energy regulation easy to understand. Check our tools and explainers to see whether your question has already been answered.
Avoid waiting for a response and get information now at any of the below links.
Find out what licensing, registration, and authorisation requirements could potentially apply to your project.
Read our energy regulation use cases explaining steps to market entry for a range of innovative business models.
If your project is located in Victoria, make sure you read about the ESC’s Regulatory Sandboxing function and its requirements.